The International Institute for Primary Health Care – Ethiopia (IPHC-E) has the strong ambition to become a Center of Excellence in PHC (Primary Health Care) and serve as a knowledge hub and a learning platform at the regional and global levels. Its establishment was necessitated by the growing demand from other African countries to learn from the experiences of the Health Extension Program of Ethiopia. To this end, the Institute is expected to play a key role in strengthening Ethiopia’s PHC system and meeting the SDGs for health by serving as a global resource for PHC, building capacity through training and information sharing, carrying out health systems implementation research and contributing to the global advocacy for UHC through PHC.
About the program
The internship program for IPHC-E aims at attracting talented and highly motivated young people to share their new innovative ideas, perspectives and research experience in IPHC-E strategic theme areas. This program provides an opportunity for interns to complement their academic knowledge with hands-on experience at the organization. It also adds the opportunity to work with a variety of highly qualified nationally and internationally known professionals in the fields of primary health care and public health. Through this program, the interns will contribute to the institutes’ efforts to create a resilient primary health care and to achieve Universal Health Coverage by 2030. IPHC-E–Ethiopia has a position for a qualified interns for a period of 6 months, starting 05 February, 2024
General purpose of the program
By joining the program, Interns can:
- apply their classroom learning in professional environments
- establish critical networking connections
- gain coveted work experience
The Institute can:
- evaluate up-and-coming talent, and
- learn from students’ fresh perspectives.
Role and Responsibility
The following list is not meant to be an exhaustive list of duties. Other duties may be assigned as needed:
- Support the planning and preparation for hosting the international conference on primary health care and an upcoming National Conference on Primary Health Care
- Support and participate on organizations of workshops, trainings and other activities carried out by the institute
- Draft and consolidate various documents (articles, factsheets, reports, concept notes etc);
- Assist in the organization of, workshops, trainings, events and forums;
- Assist with public relations and social media;
- Draft responses to inquiries;
- Assist the leads of the four strategic thematic areas, as needed.
The Interns will work under the supervision of the Executive Director, Director of Programs and the leads of strategic thematic areas, in line with the duties assigned at hand. One Intern serves as the ‘Lead Intern’ and could help with the Interns training and keeping them on task.
Required number: Five
Service duration: 6 months’ full time
Remuneration: Not applicable
Place of duty: Addis Ababa
Starting Date: February 2024
Program Eligibility Criteria
There are two eligible groups for this program,
- Health science graduates from public institutes or accredited Private Institutions who are currently not employed and have graduated within the last six months.
- Postgraduate students in the field of Public Health, whether from public or accredited private institutes, who do not currently hold a job and have less than six months of work experience at the time of application.
- Excellent organizational, time management and strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to multitask, to work flexibly and meet tight deadlines;
- Attention to details and proven ability to work independently and effectively with minimum supervision;
- Networking skills to engage with key internal and external partners;
- Computer proficiency: MS Office Eligibility and skills Education:
- Fluency in written and spoken Amharic and English.
- Fluency in French is desirable.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email application letter & CV with 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org in 10 working days with the subject line: position. Please ensure that all contact information is up-to-date and accurate.
Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated for Exams.
NB: Please make sure you are eligible for a call and note that we will check credentials during the submission of your application. Applicants who are not eligible will not be contacted.
This program is not intended for candidates who have enrolled into other internship programs or with a paying job at the moment.
This is not a paying position.