Executive Head of Department – Compliance (Internal/External)
Reports to: Chief Legal and Risk Officer
Role purpose: The role holder will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a robust compliance framework to ensure that Safaricom Ethiopia is compliant with all applicable laws, regulations, and rules; and all company policies, codes, and standards; and to implement adequate systems and processes to monitor and enforce compliance.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
- Institutionalize and manage the implementation of compliance standards across Safaricom Ethiopia.
- Assist and oversee implementation of effective systems and processes to ensure compliance with all laws and regulations, policies, rules, and codes and industry standards.
- Oversight of the Legal and Policy Universe for Safaricom Ethiopia
- Implement, enforce, and conduct periodic reviews of the Anti-bribery, Trade Control Economic Sanctions , Privacy, Anti Money laundering , MPESA and ESG programs across Safaricom Ethiopia.
- Coordinate ESG initiatives across Safaricom Ethiopia both horizontally between ESG pillars and business units and vertically across hierarchical levels up to the CEO and Board
- Reporting ESG activities to the CEO and Board and communicating with all key Stakeholders
- Assist in the implementation of the Trust by Design methodology and ensure that all controls are periodically reviewed and closed within the timeframes set by Safaricom Ethiopia.
- Monitor developments in the legal and regulatory and governance environment and keep abreast of new policies and legislation as well as changes to existing legislation
- Perform compliance risk assessments and develop compliance risk management plans for all high-risk legislations
- Provide training and advice on compliance related matters.
- Monitor, review and enforce compliance with all Safaricom Ethiopia Policies; laws and regulations; rules , codes and industry standards.
- Liaise with applicable stakeholders to ensure an integrated approach to legal and policy compliance management.
- Preparation of reports to various audit, risk and compliance, as well as social and ethics, committees.
- To liaise with other Safaricom Ethiopia departments and Subject Matter Experts (SME) to ensure compliance risks are identified and mitigation controls are implemented by business.
- To maintain expert knowledge within the field on current legislative, risks, technology and industry best practice.
- To prepare the required report packs for, the RMC, the Audit Committee and Safaricom Ethiopia’s Financial and Risk Review Committees.
- To undertake other projects as required under the control of the Chief Legal and Risk Officer.
Core competencies, knowledge, and experience:
- Experienced compliance professional who understands compliance, risk and operational frameworks in a fintech or financial services environment
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and be comfortable with a changing environment and works well under pressure.
- Planning, problem solving, conflict and, relationship management skills combined with the ability to work in virtual and global teams in a matrix.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills (written and verbal)
Must have technical / professional qualifications:
- Minimum of 8-12 years relevant compliance and risk management experience
- LLB Degree, bachelor’s degree in law or a bachelor’s degree in commerce
- Certificate in Compliance Management would be an added advantage.
- Postgraduate Qualification in Anti Money laundering ( AML) will be advantageous
- Higher relevant law degrees will be an advantage.
- Higher relevant specialist qualifications in e.g., Compliance will be an advantage.
How to Apply:
If you feel that you are up to the challenge and possess the necessary qualification and experience, kindly proceed to update your candidate profile on the career portal and then Click on the apply button. Remember to attach your resume.
The closing date for receiving applications is Monday, October 16, 2023.