Position: Administrative Coordinator II
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) seeks to recruit an Administrative Coordinator II to provide high-level administrative and financial support to the ongoing projects of the Alliance in Ethiopia. He/she will work very closely with project leaders and individual project scientists in managing all general administrative issues of the office and field activities of ongoing projects in Ethiopia. He/she works closely with the Human Resources, Finance, and Operations staff in the Regional office. The Administrative Coordinator II will report to the Country Representative, Ethiopia and Head of Business Operations and Finance he/she will be a member of the Alliance which is based at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) campus in Addis Ababa.
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) deliver research-based solutions that address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation. The Alliance focuses on the nexus of agriculture, nutrition and the environment. We work with local, national, and multinational partners across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and with the public and private sectors and civil society. With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people. The Alliance is organized into six key levers: 1)Food environment and consumer behavior – reshaping the food environment and consumer behavior toward healthy and sustainable diets; 2) Multifunctional landscapes – fostering innovation for environmental health and productive landscapes to improve livelihoods; 3) Climate action – mainstreaming climate action in the food system to reduce risks; 4) Biodiversity for food and agriculture – making agricultural and tree diversity available and safeguarding it for the diverse needs of food system actors; 5) Digital inclusion – promoting inclusion in the digital agriculture revolution for equitable benefits; and 6) Crops for nutrition and health – putting nutrition and health at the heart of crop improvement to address the triple burden of malnutrition.
Project Support, HR & General Administration
- Establish and maintain relevant databases and systems for all project activities;
- Follow up on all project plans and calendar of events with Project Leaders and assisting scientists;
- Liaise with various stakeholders in processing agreements such as Letter of Agreements (LoAs) and facilitate their renewal/closing as per the relevant procedures;
- Ensure that offices are fully set up for new staff including the provision of supplies;
- Monitor, collate and prepare various correspondence such as invitation letters, reports and documents/material and ensure dispatch of the same to relevant stakeholders;
- Supervise Administrative Associates, and Driver/Logistics Assistants in the Country Office.
- Plan and coordinate logistics for travel, meetings, conferences, workshops and other events and prepare the relevant documentation:
- Oversee bookings and liaison with travel agents for tickets, and visas, coordinate travel arrangements such as airport transfers and accommodation and follow up on the same;
- Advice and support on visa and work permit queries as may be required.
Supply Chain Management
- Prepare requisitions for goods and services such as consultancies, office supplies, and travel, as per laid procedures;
- Process pre-import permits and liaise with relevant stakeholders for all required clearances, dealing with custom agents and delivery and distribution of imported items such as seeds and, equipment;
- Ensure proper scheduling of the use of vehicles and proper allocation record vehicle movements and liaise with the finance for recharges;
- Coordinate and follow up on service and maintenance of official vehicles and maintenance of relevant documentation;
- Liaise with ILRI in managing annual vehicle valuation for insurance renewals, submission of valuation reports and issuance of insurance stickers;
- Manage and keep an updated asset register for the Ethiopia office;
- Manage inventory or warehouse to receive and record new stock of inputs, stationery and other project and office supplies as it is delivered and shipped out.
- Ensure good working relationships with the Alliance official bank and follow up regularly to ensure sustainable tariffs.
- Coordinate efficient imprest management to ensure the maintenance of sufficient fund balances to support operations.
- Cross-check approved/signed online payments on the online banking platform and send to the bank for processing of payments.
- Coordinate with ILRI HR/Finance to ensure a timely monthly payroll process and ensure tax compliance through the remittance of statutory deductions.
- Oversee timely preparation and processing of all relevant payments.
- Ensure close and strong collaboration between the country Finance office, ILRI finance, Alliance regional finance (accounting, PLANS, global treasury), and HQ finance.
- Review and approve finance periodic reports submitted to the regional office
- Coordinate station audit processes in liaison with the Finance Manager by continuously monitoring documentation and processes.
- Coordinate effective implementation of audit recommendations in liaison with the finance quality assurance team.
- Ensure the implementation of audit recommendations and report to the Finance Manager for any material query that is likely to affect audit opinion.
Safety and Security:
- Working closely with ILRI and the Alliance security teams, enforce safety and security protocols and procedures as outlined in the security guidelines to ensure the office and field operations are conducted in a secure environment in relation to the organization’s duty of care;
- Report all security incidents immediately they occur and manage them to mitigate on further loss;
- Maintain the Risk catalog and ensure it is up to date;
- Train staff on the use of international safety and rescue information platforms, and ensure that they do all the security training required by the institutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Administration, Management, or other relevant subject with proven office management skills.
- Ability to handle basic accounting and finance
- Broad/specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
- Six years of relevant experience in a closely related field gained in an international organization.
- Professional exposure to an international institutional/program setting, including a multicultural and interdisciplinary working environment.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral, for diverse audiences
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office applications, especially Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel and the ability to learn new applications quickly.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in the accomplishment of duties.
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and organize workload; take initiative and work under pressure.
- Highly effective planning, organizational and multi-tasking skills with a positive attitude and strong administrative service orientation.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment, and a high-level
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position level: HG 14
Minimum Base salary: Birr 48,846 per month (Negotiable depending on the salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position, initial appointment is for two years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and funding availability. Bioversity International offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salaries and excellent benefits in line with ILRI’s salary applicable for its National Staff. Bioversity is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
How to apply
Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae.
The position and reference number: AC/ABC/32/23 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter.
All applications are to be submitted online on our recruitment portal using the bleow apply button on or before 27 November 2023.
ABC/ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training).
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply
Position: RESEARCH OFFICER II
IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the CGIAR Consortium. The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low-income and poorer groups in the countries. With a vision for a world free of hunger and malnutrition, IFPRI’s mission is to provide research-based policy solutions that sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Be a key part of a dynamic global research team implementing CGIAR initiative on National Policies and Strategies (NPS) across several countries, including Ethiopia;
- Contribute to ongoing gender research in Kenya and Ethiopia;
- Provide general research support, including data collection and analysis; preparation of presentation materials; support with manuscript preparation; etc;
- Manage large quantitative household surveys, focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and other qualitative data collection tasks;
- Conduct statistical and econometric analyses;
- Process and synthesize secondary data, conduct advanced statistical analyses and translate the research findings into reports, briefs, articles, periodicals and newsletters;
- Conduct literature reviews and other background analyses to support the design of calls for expressions of interest/proposals;
- Organize seminars, workshops, and other learning events;
- Assist in the preparation of journal articles, and reports and ensure timely and accurate dissemination of research findings to the relevant government authorities and donors;
- Manage routine administrative matters related to impact assessment studies, including communications with study teams;
- Read and review completed impact studies and impact study designs;
- Communicate research findings to external audiences as appropriate;
- Any other responsibilities assigned by the supervisor and/or management.
- Master’s degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or related discipline
- Broad/specialized knowledge of impact assessment methods, techniques, and processes
- Five years of relevant professional experience.
- Research experience (having worked on seed systems, extension, and technology adoption)
- Experience in knowledge sharing/capacity development
- Experience in managing large household surveys
- Experience in writing reports/journal articles or other knowledge products
- Experience in managing events and seminars
- Advanced proficiency in using statistical packages like Stata, R, and SAS. Advanced Stata skills are needed and knowledge of R would be a plus
- Excellent quantitative analytical skills
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office applications for word processing, and spreadsheets; experience with graphics and data management
- Excellent knowledge of both written and spoken English
- Prior knowledge of GIS and remote sensing would be advantageous
- Previous work experience in agriculture and genetic resources-related research would be preferred
- Professionalism and integrity: Able to apply ethics, principles, standards, and expertise in all areas of work
- Results-oriented: Able to recognize bottlenecks timely and identify solutions; able to meet agreed-upon deadlines and set goals; focused on all tasks
- Travel: Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally as necessary
- Interpersonal relations: Good interpersonal communication and facilitation skills; able to work with and relate to others in mutual support and with respect towards common goals and shared vision; able to build and nurture strong and authentic reciprocal relationships; committed to non-domineering or patronizing attitudes and/or behaviors
- Respect for diversity: Being able to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives is critical for all staff members
- Communication: Able to express oneself, share and exchange information clearly and in a timely style
- Innovation and creativity: Able to generate new ideas and ways of working to continuously improve existing work processes, practices, and concepts.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job level: HG 14.
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 48,846 (Negotiable depending on the salary history of the candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position and the appointment is fixed term for one year which will be renewable based on performance and funding availability. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salaries and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plans, etc.
How to apply
Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: RO/ESSP/31/23 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter.
All applications are to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: by clicking on the “Apply” tab above before 24 November 2023.
IFPRI/ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training).
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.