Position: Finance Officer – Disbursement
Term of Employment: One Year with a possibility of extension
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Application Deadline: November 20, 2023
The Agricultural Transformation Institute (ATI) has been established by the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to identify and address systemic bottlenecks to Ethiopia’s agricultural development. The Institute does this through problem-solving, implementation support, and capacity building of stakeholders involved in implementation of interventions that address the systemic bottlenecks. The Institute reports to a Transformation Council chaired by the Prime Minister and whose co-chair is the Minister of Agriculture.
The programmatic focus of the Institute responds to a core set of needs identified by the Ministry of Agriculture and the Transformation Council. Within the Institute, issues are divided into three different groups: Production and Productivity which includes Inputs and Crop Protection, Livestock, Research and Extension, Mechanization and Rural Finance; Agribusiness and Markets including Market Support Services, Commercial Farming, Argo-processing & Market Development, and Cooperatives Development; and Environmentally Sustainable and Inclusive Agricultural Growth including Natural Resource Management, Sustainable Land Management, Gender Equality and Nutrition, Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, and Planning and MLE. Across the programs, the ATA engages public, private, and non-governmental stakeholders to support strategic planning, manage and strengthen implementation capacity and test innovative models.
We have an exceptional team of employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented individual are committed to doing their best and work together to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our people and are committed to providing our employees with the tools and training necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Finance Officer -Disbursement is responsible for the execution of financial transactions, recording, reporting, and any auxiliary or supporting activities. Financial transactions include payment requests, vouchers, and disbursement activities. Supporting activities include data management, budgeting, and planning, and reporting-related activities. Although the financial officer is responsible for the execution of all these activities, s/he may be asked to focus on, or be responsible for, a specific subset of activities based on the instructions of the Senior Finance Manager or the Finance Director. This position reports to the Sr Finance Manager.
Disbursement: Ensure efficient and timely disbursement processing
- Process all disbursement related transactions, including check requests, periodic or recurring payment requests and standing instructions.
- Payment Voucher Registration (ERP), Bank Transfer & Check Preparation
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of checks and bank transfers.
- Ensure the completeness of supporting documents and the accurate account coding of financial records relating to financial transactions being processed.
- Prepare/Register (ERP) payment vouchers (for Cash and Cheque payments) as per approved payment requests and/or authenticated invoices and receipts and present the vouchers for verification and approval by the responsible persons.
- Make cheque payments only after getting approval/authorization from Responsible authority.
- Prepare receipts for Government withheld taxes VAT & WHT and provide to the supplier up on effecting the payment.
- Submit complete financial documents/Vouchers on timely basis, to Data management officers for intact posting
- Handle monthly Government Obligations like VAT, withholding tax, income tax, pension etc, & settle to the respective Gov’t Organ (ERCA) as per the prescribed submission date.
- Facilitate workshop payment and payee to participants after clearing of document authentication.
Ensure timely and accurate data management.
- Ensure management of ERP databases and hardcopy records.
- Assist in tracing and analyzing transactions, records, and financial statements.
- Support all audit-related query resolution and data provision.
- Maintain service and vendor records, and personnel records as applicable.
- Ensure data verification in transactions by ensuring complete supporting documentation for transactions, verifying, and correcting records, and obtaining further information for incomplete supporting data.
- Maintain all up-to-date records in ERP as well as hardcopies ad mandated by compliance requirements.
- Address all information requests pertaining to the financials of ATI.
Support the analysis and validation of budgeting and budget tracking.
- Conduct analyses and validate and review budgets periodically.
- Assist in the coordination of budget preparation and support in the preparation of regular and special budget reports.
- Execute periodic budget tracking and reporting activities.
- Perform other tasks as instructed by Senior Finance Manager.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Accounting and Finance field of study with 4 years or 2 years relevant experience respectively, working as a finance officer or disbursement officer with experience in transaction processing, reporting, planning, and/or disbursement functions.
- Experience and proficiency in working with ERP systems, preferably Agresso
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (including Excel) is a must.
- Fluency in English, Amharic and other Ethiopian languages is highly desired
- Superior attention to detail; skills such as critical thinking; problem-solving; and multi-tasking abilities are required in addition to integrity, and honesty.
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter and (ii) a CV (maximum 5 pages) to https://apply.ata.gov.et
Please DO NOT submit scans of certificates with your application.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.