The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Institute (ATI) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government Institute created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATI envisions to be the leading center of innovative solutions for the transformation of Ethiopian Agriculture by 2030.
The Institute focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate the development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, Sidama, South-West, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated, and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great teamwork to achieve excellent results.
At ATI, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Finance Director will be responsible for ensuring that the finance and financial administration functions are implemented efficiently and cost-effectively and provide adequate support to the CEO and Senior Directors. She/he is responsible for monitoring the development and utilization of budget and preparing financial reports as per the organization reporting timeline and needs of partners. The Director ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial-related functions. The Director of Finance also oversees cost and general accounting, accounts receivable/collection, and payroll and risk management.
This position will officially report to Senior Director, Operations.
- Provides strategic financial management and leadership, ensuring appropriate systems, procedures, and internal controls are in place to support the continued growth of program needs.
- Developing and successfully implementing a strategy for Finance aligned with organizational objectives;
- Develops an annual budget with input from and in consultation with the Senior Directors, monitor the budget utilization in order to ensure effective utilization and value for money;
- In charge of the preparation and revision of program and grant proposals and budgets in line with donor guidelines, and ATI and donor formats
- Establishes the priorities and focus of team members on priorities in order to meet the need of the program which is expanding;
- Establishes strong finance team which enables to effectively implement all key finance functions, produce concise, comprehensive and high-quality management information;
- Manage the performance and development of the finance team and ensure quality and timely delivery;
- Develops management information reporting systems and provide timely financial reports to senior managers;
- Ensures compliance of donor requirements, policies and procedures across the organization; provide guidance and training on donor requirements, policies and procedures to finance and non-finance programme teams;
- Closely monitor the donor reporting schedule and the programme business cycle to ensure timely and accurate financial donor reports are prepared & submitted consistent with narrative reports.
- Work with other team members to manage the preparation of financial reports of donors.
- Ensure a complete audit trail from primary documentation to the accounting system for accurate and rapid donor reporting and general record keeping.
- Maintain current knowledge of the government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements;
- Supervise all project bank account activities including negotiation of fees, interest and currency exchange rates;
- Establish policies regarding cash holding limits, cash movements, and foreign currency holdings; ensures that cash transfers to the Transformation centres are
taking place and any challenges are communicated and addressed
- Design, implement, and monitor systems, procedures, and reporting necessary to maintain on a current basis accurate forecasts of cash requirements for meeting future spending, including commitments entered into and which obligate the project to future spending;
- Regularly monitor spending and review projects with Senior Management Team;
- Ensure that appropriate and effective internal control system is in place and regularly review;
- Closely work with leadership and management teams to enhance staff competencies in finance, financial administration, and donor reporting & compliance;
- Donor and regulatory agency liaison: conducting continuing dialogue with actual and potential funding sources and government regulatory bodies;
- Ensure that partners’/client’s financial policies and practices comply with requirements under the Federal law of Ethiopia;
- Responsible for liaison with external bodies and with legislative authorities related to finance;
- Ensure that authorized signatory list and bank information forms are regularly updated, and hardcopies are on file
- Ensure balance sheet reconciliations are completed monthly and on a timely basis and review final reconciliations and trial balances
- Supervise the collection of contractual and other receivables.
- Carry out regular field office visits to Transformation centres in order to support, guide and monitor the implementation of internal controls, identify support needs, and train finance and non-finance staff
- Ensure that all relevant finance documents are appropriately filed (soft and print copy), ensuring quality referencing for the filed documents, safety of the documents
- Masters or PhD Degree in Accounting, Financial Management, Accounting, and Finance and related fields;
- Minimum 12 years for master’s and 6 years for PhD relevant experiences in a leadership or managerial role in an international organization.
- At least six years of leadership or managerial experience
- Proven ability to manage the overall work process of a finance unit by ensuring effective work assignments, supervision, and development to ensure the availability of competent and well-motivated staff;
- Critical thinking, well organized, analytical, and determined to follow through;
- Good knowledge of Financial Management and Accounting;
- Certification in Accounting is an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability in problem-solving, priority setting, planning, and delegation.
- Detailed knowledge of Ethiopian financial laws, regulations and procedures.
- Familiarity with Ministry of Finance Directives and multi donors’ funded projects and project reporting is essential;
- Excellent knowledge of accounting software’s;
- Excellent computer skills with knowledge of office software packages; such as Agresso ERP and IFMIS
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Amharic.
- Ability to work in a very busy environment and good in stress management.
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter and (ii) a CV (maximum 5 pages) to https://apply.ata.gov.et
Please DO NOT submit scans of certificates with your application.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.